This specifically stretches the piriformis and iliotibial band (ITB). This can be useful for knee, hip and back pain when used appropriately.
- Lie on your back with your feet flat on the floor.
- Cross your left foot over your right thigh.
- Lift your right leg off the floor. Grab onto the back of your right leg (behind the knee so you don’t compress your knee) and gently pull it toward your chest. If you have difficulty reaching your thigh then use a towel so your head and shoulders can rest comfortably on the floor.
- Maintain a hollow in the small of your back.
- When you feel a comfortable stretch, hold there.
- Hold for 30 seconds to 2 minutes.
- Switch sides and repeat.
Feel free to try this stretch. Please be aware this exercise is not for everyone and is best considered for individual prescription following the advice of your physiotherapist. STOP IMMEDIATELY and do not continue if you experience ANY pain.